Thursday, May 20, 2010

Children

Do you have any children?  I have one, a son soon to be 20 years old.  It's amazing how the years have passed so quickly and how much he has defined and changed my life.  I don't think I will be remembered for so many things in my life when I finally decide to pull the plug, but one thing I hope I am remembered for is the love that I have for my family.  I thought of this today because my son found out his grades for this semester at the University.  He did quite well and it made me think that as a parent we are so tightly bound to our children, their failures and their successes can probably be more to us than it is to them.  I just felt so proud of him and the young man he has become.  I also feel so excited about the life he has ahead of him.  I really hope that I have done all that I can for him, to teach him about life and love, goodness and caring about others.  I think that perhaps this journey of mine with ALS will have some positive impact on his life.  I'm not sure what that would be?  But I hope it's there.

1 comment:

  1. my son just came home for a visit from alaska. it's been 2 yrs since i've seen him last so i took vac time to make every moment count. i am amazed at how well he has grown into a young man who is wise beyond his years. even tho' he towers above me at 5'10", he's my mini me. when we're in the same room, it's like stereo speakers. he left again early yesterday morning & our hearts got broke again. have already put in motion a plan for me to go visit him in alaska & i'm sure our hearts will break yet again when it comes time to return home. now why can't he just move back home? = )

    ReplyDelete