Tuesday, May 18, 2010

BiPAP mask bothering me

These days my BiPAP mask bothers me sometimes.  It's extremely difficult to adjust the mask so that is comfortable, only mineko really has the knowledge and patience to adjust the mask correctly for me.  And even then, just wearing this silly mask 24/7 gets annoying, frustrating and difficult.  The place it hurts the most is on the bridge of my nose, which becomes red and sore.  The rest of my face becomes dry and itchy.  And my eyes become dry and dirty from the air escaping from the mask.  It's my choice.  By doctors recommended to have a tracheotomy done, which is supposed to be more comfortable and allow me to breathe more easily and you don't have to wear a mask.  But I decided to stay with the BiPAP for as long as I can in order to avoid surgery and also to avoid the changes in our lifestyle that would be required if I had tracheotomy.  So I must learn to live with my choices!  Much more difficult than it sounds.  I must be positive and grateful that I can still breathe and that this technology does exist.

1 comment:

  1. i wondered if that mask bothered you..! Especially when u sleep. You would think they come up with one that can be contoured to your face.

    ReplyDelete