Monday, April 19, 2010

A Typical Monday

It's almost 1 o'clock and I'm expecting Joylynn comes soon to give me my weekly bath.  This is always such a wonderful time for me as Joylynn is so patient and professional, and I get to get my hair washed and I feel comfortable and clean afterwards.  Joylynn is a nurse's aide from Kaiser home health.  I'm very lucky that home health still watches over me.  The nurse visits me every couple of weeks and I can call them if something is needed.  Christopher is home with me today and will take care of me until he goes to work this afternoon.  He still works at Starbucks.  It has been over two years now.  Today I'm feeling a little on the depressed side.  It happened last night after watching a 60 minutes episode on a scam involving stem cell treatments for ALS patients in Mexico and California.  He was a very powerful program, but left me with the feeling that there really is no cure or treatment for this disease that I can hope to see in my lifetime.  I guess always in the back of my head I hope that someday there would be a stem cell or other kind of treatment breakthrough, but I think it's pretty clear that that is far in the future still.  I have to get over this depression and just be happy that I can spend time each day with my son, my wife, my friends and family and caregivers.  I must find the joy in each of these encounters each day.  I don't have 30 or 40 years to live, so I must live 30 or 40 years worth during each moment.

1 comment:

  1. hey rick. u n my hubby have something in common ... u both watch too much tv (smile). just the other day, he was comparing this tv couple & their woes, with our own daily life. i was a bit shocked to say the least. i know the tv is the window to the world for him (he is disabled), but i'm real & in living color. but you rick, i want you to keep watching those medical updates cause with all our technology of today, the cure has got to be closer than we think. if you keep positive, then so will i (& we both know that's a challenge for me -- lol).

    ReplyDelete