Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Four pictures on the wall...


Most of you understand that my physical view of the world is rather limited. I am blessed to have my voice and the ability to travel through cyberspace, the world of television, and the universe of my imagination through my writing, but what I actually see with my eyes every day is usually confined to what's in front of the hospital bed where I spend most of my time. With that in mind, I thought it would share with you some of the "things" that I do look at it each day and the meaning I have attached to them.

I'll start with the four pictures on the wall... (Take a look at the pictures in the entry below)

On the far left of my wall, is a print of a painting done by Peggy Chun. Peggy was a local artist that passed a few years ago from ALS. I never got to know her personally, but I always admired her work. This painting called "A Charmed Life" my wife and I purchased more than 15 years ago, long before I even knew what ALS was. We love the color and the hidden gecko amongst the mangoes. When I wrote The Hamster and the Gecko – a Survivors Story, I asked Peggy's daughter-in-law if I could use the artwork for my book cover –she graciously agreed.

To the right of that, is a cross-stitch given to me by a new friend, Michelle. She came to me out of the blue with generosity and kindness – something that I've experienced frequently in the last seven years. People that I only know as acquaintances, suddenly become good friends. They offer their time, services and friendship. Michelle's father died from ALS and when she read my first book, Dolphins Dance, she was inspired to give me this beautiful undersea world cross-stitch. I cannot even imagine how long it took to create. Whenever I look at it, I am reminded of the generosity of people.

In the center of my wall, just above the television, is this print of the town of Galilee, Rhode Island. My God mother lives in Rhode Island. I sent her a copy of Narragansett, and in return she sent me this beautiful signed print. It's exactly like one of the scenes from the book. Every time I see it, the painting reminds me of the importance of family and it also encourages me to continue writing.
Finally, on the far right of the wall, there is a beautiful South Carolina beach scene painted by my mother. My mother was a fabulous artist. She passed earlier this year and we spread her cremated ashes in the ocean not far from where I live. She's always with me. Looking at the painting, I remember all of the love that she gave me, and the lessons that she hoped I would learn. I think she would be proud of her son – I hope so. She inspires me to stay creative and to look for beauty in the world, no matter your perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment