Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Gotham writing assignment: The Teddy Bear


This week's assignment was to describe an object and through the description the narrator or protagonist of the story's emotions and character is revealed. Can you guess who the narrator is and what his emotions are?

 

The Teddy Bear

I found him hiding in the back of her closet amongst the pile of Payless shoes and Ross handbags. I brought him into the light. His amber eyes stared at me accusingly, as if he was angry at being disturbedit was her closet after all. I stroked the once brown, but now yellowed, fur on his head and belly. Bunches of it broke off into my fingers. He was not soft or cuddly, instead the straw of his insides poked through his skin into my hands. He sat down in the chair across from me, while I interrogated him further.

His missing left ear told me that she had been a rambunctious child, or perhaps it had been lost during a scuffle with her older sister. The repaired scars on his arm, leg and torso revealed just how much he was treasured. The burns on the bottom of his feet smelled raw and smoky, as if she had never allowed him to stop running. He was in no condition to play now, the threads holding his limbs in place had no pulse or strength. The childhood joy was gone from his soul. His aura told me that the slightest bounce, pull, toss, or hug would send his body parts asunder. He wanted to be alone.
(A grieving husband)

No comments:

Post a Comment