Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Goodbye, Mom


Goodbye, Mom. I'll miss your unconditional love and constant thoughtfulness. I'm so sorry that I couldn't be there to help you and Dad when you needed it the most. I know that my battle with ALS was more difficult for you to accept, than for me. You do know that I thought of you every day while you were fighting Alzheimer's and your other medical issues. I still think of you every day and I regret that I wasn't with you during the final moments. I prayed for your peace and comfort every day. You taught me so much, but more importantly you let me be independent and learn on my own. I know that must have been difficult for you. I'm sorry for some of the angst, worry and sadness that I caused you, especially during my teenage years. However, you know that I turned out okay!

I'm proud of the life you lived as a daughter, wife, mother, friend and artist. You are the daughter of German immigrants, born during the depression. At a young age, you expressed your freedom and independence in the boroughs of New York and the streets of Manhattan. You ran away with my father, near penniless, to San Francisco to start a new life. The two of you have been so close and together for over 50 years. Together you traveled the world, and brought me along. You were always adventurous and ready to try something new, to live in a new country—Guam, Okinawa, Germany, Saudi Arabia, Spain. I believe that you loved the beaches of Isle of Palms, South Carolina the best. We were at peace there. The ocean and sand dunes embraced us and made our family closer.

Thank you for everything, I miss you every moment.

Love, Richard.

PS I posted some of your paintings on my website – anyone is welcome to take a look at my mother's wonderful artwork.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment