Friday, December 21, 2012

E-mail I sent to Mayor of Honolulu today

Dear Mayor of Honolulu,


Please consider taking action now to place qualified police officers and every public school in our county. I believe that the only way we can protect our children is to have a police officer stationed at each school for the entire school day when school is in session. I know this will be a drain to your city budget, but I'm sure there is a way you could work with the Governor And City Council to make this happen as soon as possible. The national debate over gun control, assault weapons ban, background checks, gun show loopholes, mental illness services – are all useful and valuable topics of discussion for us as a nation and for us here locally. But unfortunately, discussion and talk will not immediately protect our children. Armed and trained police officers can!

As a parent and educator, I would welcome a police officer at my child's school. The police officer would be a great deterrent to any crazy person thinking to copycat or create their own horror. And then if there was a tragic incident, at least there would be a police officer there on the campus ready to protect our children. There's no guarantee that the police officer could stop all of the violence, but perhaps the officer could limit the damage and delay the perpetrator until reinforcements could arrive.

I would also like to think that while the police officer was at my child's school, he/she could also serve and become an integral part of my child's educational environment. The police officer with proper training could teach my child the value of the civil society We take for granted. They could talk to my child and his classmates about drugs, guns, violence and serve as a role model. My child would go to school every day, learning and understanding that police officers are real people and that they are there to help, protect and serve. This in itself could be a valuable lesson for my child. I can imagine that police officers would jump at the chance to take school duty! What a rewarding experience for the teachers, the children, and the police officers involved.

Sincerely,
Richard Raker, Honolulu resident
Please stay in touch!
Find my books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/R-K-Raker/e/B00501DBDM/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1
visit my webpage: http://sites.google.com/site/rickspossepage/
check out my DVD reviews: http://ricksdvdreviews.blogspot.com/
I'm also on Facebook at: Richard K Raker

No comments:

Post a Comment