Friday, May 13, 2011

My continuing publishing experience

Hello friends, I thought I would update you on my latest efforts at trying to get my book available to all.  Earlier this week I sent out an e-mail stating that I was thrilled to finally have my Book "Dolphins Dance" Available on Amazon.com.  Even though the prices set by PublishAmerica, my publisher, were very ridiculously HIGH...  I was still very happy to see my book available.  Unfortunately, I purchased the Kindle copy for $25 (outrageous!)  Just to see what it would look like - the formatting was terrible.  Throughout the book there are missing words and letters, some of the alignment is also screwed up.  I immediately contacted the publisher and Amazon.com to rectify the situation.  Amazon Kindle support replied very quickly And will be removing The Kindle version within 24 hours...  If anyone purchased this version I believe you can return it to Amazon for a refund.  I'm so sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.
I am now waiting to hear from PublishAmerica to see if they will fix the formatting issues that make the book available again had Amazon.com/Kindle.  I really believe In the Kindle and And e-book "revolution"... I believe/think it is the future of publishing and Makes Reading books more accessible/books available especially to the younger more technological generations.

I am asking PublishAmerica to lower the prices of my book.  I would like to see the print copy available for $12.95 on Amazon.com (you can get it for that price if you go directly to the PublishAmerica bookstore) and I would like to see the Kindle version of my book available for less than $5.95.  That way my friends and family who would like to read the book do not have to fork out so much money!  If you want to help me with this "campaign" please go to the PublishAmerica website and give them feedback that you would like to see my books listed at lower prices.

Anyway lesson learned!  I am not saying that PublishAmerica is a "scam"...  They have fulfilled their contract with me.  They did help me get my book into print with no upfront costs or charges.  They did format the book and designed the cover - something I could not do on my own.  They did make the books available on their website and on Amazon.com as promised.  So, looking on the positive side I am now a published author.  It's just that my book is priced so high that I believe there will be very limited sales.  In my opinion I believe that PublishAmerica makes its money from the authors, not from selling the books to the general public.  It's a different business model and had I been fully informed and not in such a rush to be published, I would have gone a different route.

So there it is, my thoughts on my publishing experience to date!  I have not given up.  I continued to ask that the prices be lowered and I would also like to rewrite Dolphins Dance - I'd like to grammatical errors and make the paragraphs a little more readable.  Someday a second edition will be out there.  In the meantime I plan on either self publishing on Amazon.com using their self-publishing services or if I can find a literary agent that might be even better.  I'd rather not spend so much time formatting and publishing, I want to spend more time just writing.

Sorry for the long winded message today!  Just needed to get some of these thoughts off my chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment