Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Results from the Writers' Digest contest for The Scent of Ginger


This year I submitted my book, "The Scent of Ginger" to the 22nd Annual Writer’s Digest Self-Published Book Awards. I didn't win the contest, but received some nice feedback.

Judge Number: 30

Entry Category: Genre Fiction

Books are evaluated on a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 meaning “needs improvement” and 5 meaning “outstanding”. This scale is strictly to provide a point of reference, it is not a cumulative score and does not reflect ranking.

Structure, Organization, and Pacing: 5

Spelling, Punctuation, and Grammar: 5

Production Quality and Cover Design: 5

Plot and Story Appeal: 5

Character Appeal and Development: 5

Voice and Writing Style: 5

Commentary*:

THE SCENT OF GINGER by R.K. Raker is a superb novel for readers looking for an intriguing story set in the beauty of Hawaii.

The cover is lovely. The back cover is a bit crowded, but the patient reader will be rewarded by finding out about the story. I found the author's photo and story completely inspiring. How wonderful that he has discovered such talent in adversity!

I was drawn into the story right away. I have visited three of the Hawaiian Islands, so the setting holds a special place in my heart. I really enjoy reading about Hawaii, and I think readers who don't know anything about Hawaii will find the book appealing as well. This is a story where the setting takes on increased importance since it's exotic, yet the author shows how much he loves the setting without bogging down the story with minutia. I like that the setting adds to, rather than takes away from the book.
The author does a great job in keeping the reader abreast of the new terms quickly and with no muss or fuss. I like that the definitions are at the bottom of the pages instead of in a glossary. The characters are realistic, the plot is intriguing, and the story uplifting. I am so glad this author has found an outlet in writing. The world is better for his talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment