Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Seeking a good literary agent


Dear prospective literary agent,

I have ALS, but that's not the reason you should read this inquiry or consider taking me on as one of your authors. However, it is the overwhelming force has shaped my life and my writing for the last eight years. It's where I have to start if we are to develop a mutually satisfying and beneficial relationship.

Before I was diagnosed with ALS, I defined myself as a teacher, corporate trainer, father, husband, son and friend. Within two years, I was bedridden and dependent upon a ventilator. Completely paralyzed from the neck down, I struggled to keep myself busy, to fight off depression. I began writing using speech recognition software.

I wrote the obligatory memoir and then a fantasy novel, Dolphins Dance, describing my vision of the end of my life and my reincarnation as a dolphin. I self published both books. I thought they were decent, and the encouragement I received from friends and family spurred me to continue. Writing, 4 to 5 hours every day, became my therapy. I began to realize that even though I was physically confined my imagination was limitless. Telling stories gives me an escape route from the locked-in reality I face every day. Through writing, I still travel the universe and meet interesting situations and characters that entertain me. Now, ALS does not define me— I've begun to call myself an author.

Since 2011, using Amazon's Kindle Direct Publishing and Createspace, I have self-published six novels, a novella, a short story, a memoir, and three volumes of a story that I will eventually combine into a novel.

Why the rush? You might be asking. I really can't explain why I've been so prolific, except to say that being productive, and taking my imagination from ideas in my head to printed words on the page has been immensely satisfying. I've allowed myself the freedom to write without worrying about the business of publishing. The explosion of self-publishing tools and technology over the last several years has given me the platform to see my creations become a reality.

This is the first inquiry letter I have written—Why now?

I believe that my writing has evolved to the point where it can be successfully shared with a broader audience. The financial reality associated with living with a terminal illness has forced me into considering alternative sources of supplemental income. I am ready to slow down, to accept constructive criticism, to revise and rewrite.

I realize that this is probably not your usual inquiry letter. Perhaps that's a good thing, but I would like to sincerely say that if you find my writing engaging and worthy of consideration, I am ready for guidance and a fruitful partnership.

Sincerely,
RK Raker

No comments:

Post a Comment