Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Can-collector

Just for fun, on occasion I will share assignments from my online writing class.
Let me know what you think!


 The Can-Collector

The baldhead of the dark skinned man gleamed in the sunlight as he rolled down the hill on the small bicycle. The bike would be considered small for a normal sized man his age, but it fit him perfectly. He rode with a confidence that had been earned by years of practice. He dodged pedestrians and lampposts with ease. Two large plastic bags, one on each handlebar, already bulging with aluminum cans, swung precariously back and forth with the rhythm of his peddling. He came to a stop at the bottom of the cul-de-sac and dismounted.


"Check out the old guy on the kids bicycle," my caregiver said.

"Yep," I replied. The Tradewinds were blowing briskly today, making it difficult for me to breathe and carry on a conversation. He understood my lack of chatter.

I had seen the man before, frequently when I was outside for a late afternoon ride in my wheelchair, and a few times from the window in my living room. His routine was the same. He pushed his small bicycle through the gap between the guardrails and made his way onto the dirt pathway that followed the Nuuanu stream. He always headed up the trail, towards the mountains. In a few minutes, he would disappear into the dense tropical jungle.

I assumed that he was mentally, socially and or economically disadvantagedprobably homeless. Who else would spend hours each week combing the banks of the stream looking for redeemable bottles and cans? At least that's what I thought he did down there along the river banks, though I never actually saw him bend over to pick up a bottle or can, and I do not ever remember seeing him emerge. Perhaps he deposited cans along the river, rather than picking them up. I reminded myself to withhold judgment of others, especially when they are only viewed from a distance.

Suddenly, a blood curdling scream rose above the howling of the Tradewinds.

It came from Nuuanu stream.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment